Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chicagojazzen - Misantropi För Nybörjare (2010)

Band: Chicagojazzen
Album: Misantropi För Nybörjare
Year: 2010
Country: Sweden
My better half told me to listen to this, and as soon as the first track started I thought "WTF, he knows that I hate Doktor Kosmos, why does he make me listen to this?". I was too lazy to turn the music off, so the record was still playing, but I stopped listening. And all of a sudden it switched to track three - Höga Byggnader Reste Sig Ur Ruinerna, which caught my attention, and I fell in love.
You can say that this album is like a box of chocolates. If you just hold on through the up-beat electro pop song in the beginning, which is really too sweet and yucky, you will find some delicate pieces during the album. And this album really got pieces for everyone. Chicagojazzen is a one man band, and I just think this dude locked him self in into a studio a couple of days and decided to record some music, but with no genre restrictions what so ever. You will hear all kinds of instruments, used in all kinds of different ways. The songs most often has some melancholic jazzy artsy post-rock feeling to them. Except for one - Bränn Ner Jörn, which is quite noise-ish. The only thing these tracks have in common is that they're all a little Lo-Fi.
And as a bonus if you know Swedish, the tracks have awesome names such as "Ewokerna känner ingen skam" (The Ewoks knows no shame), "När Per nästan dog" (When Per almost died), and "De målade mitt tandkött violett" (They painted my gums violet).

Song(s) you should listen to:
Höga Byggnader Reste Sig Ur Ruinerna is maybe not something special, if you don't get a smile on your face as soon as you hear avant-garde circus tunes from hell. De Målade Mitt Tandkött Violett is a melancholic but beautiful song that has that kind of roadtrip-feeling to it. You know, when you're half awake/half asleep and just dead looking out through the window. This song could be in a movie. In fact, all of these songs could be in a movie soundtrack.


No comments: