Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vestiges - The Descent of Man (2010)

Artist: Vestiges
Album: The Descent of Man
Year: 2010
Country: United States
I first heard about this band some months ago from a guy I bought some Fall of Efrafa-records from. After a little bit of smalltalk he then says that he and his band are soon about to release their debut album and that if I like Fall of Efrafa then I might like what they had to offer. That got my attention and I was looking forward to hearing this new mysterious band. During the weeks that past i read about the band on their homepage to see if I could find more information about them. It didn't take long to realize that this was a band that was about more than music and selling records. The record was going to be a storyline describing the creation and downfall of man and the damage we have caused on this earth through industrialization, militarization, theism and so on. Since I'm a sucker for bands that has a story behind their music my expectations was quite high when I finally got a hold of the album, but I did not expect to be blown away the way I did. The record started out with an intro with some distorted noise and a voice which I couldn't interpret. Then, slowly but steady, a guitar sneaks up on me while playing a really cozy melody, then some bass and some drums joined the mellow dance. So far so good. Then suddenly the music smites me down like lightning and the post-metal appocalypse is upon me. I could not believe what I was listening to. This did not sound like a new band whom are just trying out their new wings, it sounded like a band whom has been around and developed for quite some time. The range of different genres that were thrown at me was amazing. One moment I was being cradled by sweet and mellow post-rockish tunes only to be thrown into a hail of speeding Black Metal-riffs and relentless Crust and in the next turn I was being crushed by epic post-hardcore build ups with sing-along parts that stuck inside my brain like glue.
Some months have passed since the first time I listened to The Descent of Man and it has only grown on me. Two more albums are planned to follow the narrative and I for one can't wait to see how Vestiges will progress from here.

Song(s) you should listen to: If I had to choose one song that stands out from the rest it would probably be IV. It's a solid song that has about everything a good post-metal song should have and to please all the crusties out there you find a really good D-Beat part about 5 minutes into the song. This song also contains the best sing-a-long part of the record at the end, it's impossible to not get swept away in the lyrics and I can only imagine how good that particular part must be live. However this record is supposed to be seen on as a whole rather than individual songs. They all connect and it gives a whole other perspective of the message that Vestiges are trying to give across.

No comments: