Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sönderriket Interview




1. From what I've understood, Sönderriket is not just a tool for making music. It seems to have more of a concept to it. What is Sönderriket about?
Well, it's kind of hard to define, but I guess that one could say that Sönderriket is the sum of all my thoughts regarding both the world as we know it and the spiritual world. It is both a place (hence the name), and a state of mind. It manifests itself in our world through my music, my written works and some conceptual art.

2. It's impossible for me to fit Sönderriket into a genre. What genre(s) would you use to describe Sönderriket, and what inspires Sönderriket forward?

I believe that if it wasn't impossible for you to categorize me I would have failed both musically and, well, as a person. But for the sake of being practical I use the genrenames Industrial Metal, Neofolk and Dark Ambient when describing the three already released albums. When it comes to the next record, which is kind of different in all aspects (except for the overall themes) I guess it will fall somewhat close to what some people are calling Blackwave, Blackgaze or Shoegaze Black Metal. But as with every other artist I prefer that people just listen to the music and form their own opinion (except if their opinion is wrong).

3. Though most of the vocals are spoken, the words are well written and flows nicely with the narrator and the music. Is there any lyrical themes for your songs?

That's a tough one to answer. When I wrote the first three albums, they all played their part in what was originally supposed to be a trilogy with the unreleased next album as part I, Etikens Dörr as part II and Rum För Avsked as part III. It was (and still is, except for the broken order) supposed to be a story of personal struggle with weltschmerz, faith, and addiction. Part I represents the lowest version of any human being. The filth and pain. Part II is kind of spiritual, realizing you have to look on higher levels to find something worth fighting for. Part III represents to painfully break away from the past.
And then there's Oktober (slaktmånaden), October, den åttonde månaden. I don't really know how to explain that one. I feel like I didn't write it. It wrote itself. It's the sum of all the thoughts I had, and all the nostalgia I experienced during the month of October 2010. 


4. Your albums have been uploaded to other mp3-blogs and is also available on Spotify. Have you picked up the general thoughts about Sönderriket?

People have been most kind to me, and most people seem to, if not understand, then at least appreciate and respect what I do. And that's all one can hope for really. As with most genres, one makes it hard for himself if he avoids the worst clichés of the genre. Therefore one is bound to meet some obstacles. And my first taste of that came when I realized that there aren't that many blogs that my music fit into, since I work in multiple genres, and not everyone is willing to just write about selected parts of my discography (as you most kindly did). 

5. Your songs combines a lot of different moods and instruments. How is a song of yours created?

In working with the trilogy the process was the same for all parts. I gathered a set of lyrics that describe the feeling I wanted to get across. I then wrote little notes on each one describing what I wanted that particular track to sound like. And then I just went with it. My parts on the first album (guitar, vocals, programming, sampling) was recorded over a period of about three months. I was going to release it with programmed drums at first, but then I met a drummer, and we have been working on the drum parts periodically since then. We are beginning to reach the end of the process, and the album should be finished before the end of spring.
Etikens Dörr was recorded in a period of about a month. The basic idea was creating an atmosphere working with field recordings (from inside a factory where I worked at the time, from a bus stop in the pouring rain, from holding my laptop out the window in a storm etc). And then I composed melodies on acoustic guitar and added to the atmosphere with synthesizers and streched audio.


Rum För Avsked was also recorded in about a month and the idea was aggression and mental exhaustion. I don't really remember the process. Lots of late nights in my kitchen with my guitar and cheap box wine.


Oktober… was different also in this aspect, the basic idea was to create a single track with some sort of industrial Trip-Hop-feeling, but with metal guitars. Once I had the idea ready the music kind of wrote itself. The two ambient tracks kind of describe the feeling I had while recording the first track. I felt like there were several voices in my head at that point, helping me write and record the album. So I decided to ask two people if they wanted to join in on vocal parts, and they did. I think it is an accurate reproduction of the October sounds in my head.


6. Most of the bands making this kind of music are never taking it outside the studio. Will we ever get the privilege to experience Sönderriket live?

I don't think you ever will, I'm afraid. There's many reasons for that, but the main one is that I really don't think it would be a pleasant experience, for anyone. My method of working is the same as when someone creates a painting. Layer upon layer of raw emotion felt just in that moment. Large portions of the recorded music is improvised in the moment, and I could not reproduce it accurately. Also I am just one man, and the amount of non-live elements required in such a performance would just be ridiculous. Then there's the issue of the social anxiety and self-loathing created by such situations.


7. TCBBOF is kind of a provocative blog against religion and such, with a burning church in the header. How is your vision on religion?
This is going to be interesting. I hope you won't ban me from your blog after this. Haha. Religion is something I think about a lot. I do not consider myself part of any religion, but I do however consider myself a spiritual person. I have been interested in christian symbolism for many years, and I suppose that some people (in the anti-religious crowd) could be offended by some things I have written or created in the past. That's more of an esthetic thing than religious though. My faith lies more in the unknown paths of the human psyche and the feelings one may feel while walking in the woods or remembering those who have walked this earth before us. I do not believe that "god" lives in certain buildings, and while churches are often fantastic achievements in the field of architecture they are also often a symbol of oppression.

8. An interview isn't supposed to be a one-man communication. What about if you asked a question for us to answer?

That's a great initiative. I don't think it would be very interesting if I asked you something unpersonal about the blog or so. So, let's see.. I wonder, what do you fear most in the world? (unintentional Twin Peaks quote).

M: That's one hell of a question! I've thought about this, and I don't have any common fears I guess. I'm not afraid to die or watching the world going under. However, I do think a lot of things are uncomfortable, and one thing I do fear to the point where the panic kicks in, is hospitals. I've been to the hospital a couple of times during my childhood (severe dogbites, fractures, scoliosis, and so on). And every single time I have returned home with a somehow traumatic memory. When I was a child I was convinced that they were about to put me down, or lock me in forever. I'm very fond of my freedom you know.
Nowadays I just keep away from hospitals as good as I can. I've had some wound that should have been stitched, and a broken clavicle, but they've healed somewhat okay and I'm fine.

No comments: