Tuesday, November 23, 2010

This Empty Flow - Magenta Skycode (1996)

Band: This Empty Flow
Album: Magenta Skycode
Year: 1996
Country: Finland
We've uploaded some new albums in a row now, so I thought we would go for an ancient one this time. When this was released I was an utterly ugly kid with crooked teeth and glasses, so I have to be honest, I don't know what was going on at the time. I would like to believe that this album was inspiring for a lot of artists to come, but I never heard of this album or this band until I stumbled over it while looking for some old Doom. Believe it or not, but most of these guys were playing in Thergothon, one of the bands that are considered to be the formers of Doom.
This Empty Flow is totally different from Thergothon. They are still creating the dark mood with huge success, but they're mixing it with a lot of other influences. There's is a huge amount of Post-Rock and Shoegaze, which is maybe not so surprising. The surprising part is maybe the Britpop-influences, making this sound like an ambient version of Joy Division.


Song(s) you should listen to: I think you should listen to the whole album. I know some die hard Doom-fans can't stand some of the songs, because they can be a bit whiny and cheesy. But they never got their stone cold hearts broken.

No comments: