Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Behzad Mehrnoosh - Reverie (2011)

Band: Behzad Mehrnoosh
Album: Reverie
Year: 2011
Country: Sweden
I know that MorteNee said that our next post was going to be something for all the frostbitten black metal-warriors out there but I have to let you down. If you by any means feel betrayed, angered, saddened etc you will have to settle the score with her.
Behzad Mehrnoosh is a one man band (at least that's what I've come to understand) from Jönköping, Sweden. He states that he takes inspiration from bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai and Explosions In The Sky to name a few. I'd say that it shines through quite clearly and by that I don't mean in a bad and obvious way. In some songs, like Sol for instance, I can definetely feel some This Will Destroy You-vibes as well. By combining elements of these band together with experimental ambient, he manages to capture the essence of a lonely and gloomy Sweden during winter-times (we tend to get more reclusive than usually during that time of the year). What I find most enthralling is that he manages to do this in a way that's very uplifting at the same time, in a melacnholic yet beautiful way.
Behzad Mehrnoosh has to this date released two full length albums in a short span and I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of him.

Song(s) you should listen to: With so many good songs on one record the best thing to do is to just listen to it from start to finnish, especially since the songs are so good entwined. I think that when it comes to good post-rock that's kind of the whole meaning, you dont get the same feeling out of the album if you just skip tracks.

No comments: