Monday, August 23, 2010

Suffocate For Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires And Helicopters On The Frontpage Of The Newspaper. There's A War Going On And I'm Marching In Heavy Boots (2008)

Band: Suffocate For Fuck Sake
Album: Blazing Fires And Helicopters On The Frontpage Of The Newspaper. There's A War Going On And I'm Marching In Heavy Boots
Year: 2008
Country: Sweden

Once upon a time about two years ago, I was sitting by the computer, and a friend who I hadn't heard anything from for a while wrote "HAVE YOU HEARD THIS EPIC SHIT?!" on msn. This guy was the one who once introduced me to Mihai Edrisch, so I was pretty eager about his new discovery. He sended me the album, which has the longest name I've ever seen, and I cranked up the volume. Since then I've never been the same.
Suffocate For Fuck Sake is a pretty decent band mixing a lot of different genres. But the way they're doing it is really extraordinary. This album follows the narrative of a depressed woman, starting around the time she tried to comitted suicide for the first time. She, her mom, her best friend, the doctor etc. are talking in between the songs, with the music going in the background as some kind of soundtrack. So we get to follow this girl through years of depression, from hospitalizing to recovery.
This maybe doesn't sound like much of a deal, but it's really hard to describe this album in a fair way. Just listen to it, you will get blown away.

Song(s) you should listen to: The album itself is a story, so if you're just listen to a track here and there in no particular order, it will turn out to be nonsense. But, the storytelling is in Swedish, so if you don't know the language the telling will be nonsense anyway (but there should be an english translation to be found somewhere, they printed translations in the booklet). But I will still recommend you to start with the first song Blue Lights And Sunshine. It still gets me to poop in my pants at occasions.


No comments: